First Travel Assignment

This is the first real post after the introduction. I forgot to mention how the friend became a "former" friend. Well, let's just say that when someone on the local school board didn't like the fact that I was taking pictures (the guy from the newspaper with that stupid 'camera stick' probably complained), I was denied further access. My "friend", who originally got me on the field as his assistant threw me under the bus to save his own skin. He didn't want to lose the status he experienced by having that ever-so-valuable, "Field Pass". Thus is the life of local politics...

BIG EAST TOURNAMENT

I just found out today that I am travelling with the University of Pittsburgh women's basketball team to Bristol, CT next week. The annual NCAA Big East Conference tournament starts on March 5th and I am actually getting paid to tag along.

Yes, I realize that shooting women's basketball isn't the same as covering a "money sport" like men's basketball. But, on the backside of this assignment is working the NCAA women's tournament. Pitt just so happens to be hosting the 1st and 2nd rounds this March.

In the past, I have worked as a freelancer for the University's media relations department. I've covered baseball, wrestling, football (Big East Championship Game) and women's basketball. I hope that this expands to all sports and that next year the University will actually bring me on as a full-time photographer.

Although it's not an extremely lucrative angle for some, I do pretty well shooting high school events on "spec" and selling the prints to parents. Every little bit helps when you are waiting for a break in this industry. I've been at it solid since 2007 and am still fairly "green" at this. The trick is, learn... learn... and learn some more.

I leave sometime early next week. To me, it's still a chance to cover a relatively "marquee" event for major colleges. I'd much rather be flying a charter to Connecticut than riding a bus to follow a high school on it's journey to a state championship.

It's exciting and I'll be sure to post some entries on what the experience is like. It's funny that I'll be doing this when other, more experienced photographers are posting blogs about covering the Winter Olympics. But, we all have to start somewhere. This year has been the start of my career. We'll see where it goes from here.

Oh, and my gear is a lot different than what I started out with. I have to apologize to Sony and Nikon for blaming their cameras. I now realize it was me.

Canon 50D
Canon 40D
Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 IS USM L
Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8
Canon 50mm f/1.4 USM
2 x Canon 580EX II Flashes
Canon ST-E2 infrared transmitter

And, yes, I now own a monopod. Apologies to the newspaper photog that let his "camera stick" get in the way. And here, I thought that big lens was because it was ancient (think cell phones).

Add to this anything that I would rent for a specific event. For example, I am in no position to BUY a 400mm f/2.8. I rent those when I need them. Not a bad idea if you don't work for Sports Illustrated. I buy my own gear, insurance and marketing materials. Freelance should drop the word "free" from it.