Day 5 @ PNC

It's now been 5 days since I started covering the Pirates for Icom SMI. Will I ever make any $$$ doing this? I have no idea, or expectations. I view this as just another step forward in achieving my ultimate goal... an image in a major magazine like Sports Illustrated or ESPN the Magazine.

There are a limited number of photographers who get the chance to cover professional sports with full-access credentials. I realize that I am fortunate to be one of them. Through Icon SMI, I'm fully credentialed for the Pirates and Pitt football. Through my contacts at Pitt, I'll be covering mens basketball as well.

The simple fact is that by using the access to my advantage, I'm getting the chance to become a better sports shooter. I'm getting good advice from some folks who have been at this for awhile. I'm also getting resistance from those arrogant photographers who think that the profession starts and stops with their place in life.

Who are these people? I won't name names. When I put all this into a book, I'll name them and even include correspondence I've received. It'll be interesting, for sure - a must read for any photographer just starting out.

I cover my last Pirates game tomorrow for about a week. I'll take this time to study up a little on studio lighting, and maybe sleep.


- Posted using iPhone