Emotional Assignment

I've been getting lost in my new world of covering MLB. New media policies and such have consumed me. It's been a crazy first eight days. But, it's what I wanted and the opportunity is one I can build off of.

Sandwiched in between two Pirates' games was a 6:30am request to be the official photographer of the annual "Race for the Cure" here in Pittsburgh. I had never been to it and, even though my mother is a breast cancer survivor, I really had no idea what it was all about.

Let's just say that the day was emotional. I love to shoot tight on faces when covering sports so I used that same technique here. Besides shooting the start and finish of the actual race, I decided to try and capture the emotions I witnessed. Here are some images:
















If I could have turned the camera on myself, you would have seen even more raw emotion. These are the assignments that bring you back to Earth.

- Posted using iPhone