"Diving Fielder" Shots - Advice?

Someone asked me recently. How did you get that shot? I guess I never thought about "how" to get it, but when to "focus" on getting it. Basically, we can all get the shot of the guy hitting the ball. It's predictable, right? But how do we get the shortstop diving in the hole - just missing it, or the third-baseman snagging the screaming line drive?

Well, if you were looking for a concrete answer - there isn't one. But, as a former baseball player at a high level - and a catcher which helped - there are certain tendencies that will make it a "little" easier to be "lucky".



Okay, now here are MY general rules for getting lucky with these types of shots.

- Most hitters, minus a few specific situations or weird tendencies, PULL the ball. That means that a right-hand batter will usually hit the ball to the left side (SS, 3B) of the infield unless he catches it and hits a long fly ball or line drive. But, remember, we are looking for that "diving" play which really only applies to ground balls.

- Batters will hit the ball the OTHER way when there are less than two outs and a runner on second. This is more apparent the higher the level of play, but the idea is to hit a ground ball to the right side (2B, 1B) makes it easier to get the runner to third.

Get lucky. Seriously, either you have the focus reflexes of a superhero or you just pick a place to focus on. You'll eventually learn the differences in what a wood bat sounds like when it's coming your direction. I learned from playing - you may learn from just being there.

These shots were in totally different situations with completely different lens/camera setups. BUT, they followed those two simple rules.

The shot of Pedro Alvarez (R) was shot with a 70-200mm fixed on him since I was in the third base pit and there was a right-hand batter (who needs a shot of the back of the hitter). I got lucky. I heard the bat and my reflex was to hit the shutter. I was shooting a Canon 1D Mark II AI Servo, 10fps. 

The shot of the high school player was shot with a Canon 300mm, plus a Canon 1.4x TC II from the middle deck. I saw the hitter in batting practice and EVERYTHING was at the shortstop. I focused on him and, again, got lucky.

I will say, however, that hitting the shutter at the right time is important. If you have a certain FPS - it'll affect your timing. I only use the 1D Mark II. I can't justify the Mark IV and have had issues with the Mark III when I had one. At 10fps, I can wait a split second and start firing. With a Canon 50D - it'll be a lot harder to capture the right "moment". 

But, like I said... you can get LUCKY.