It Boggles the Mind - Photographer Fired

This is more of a commentary or editorial opinion that a post about photography. I might be more liberal when it comes to what IS and IS NOT acceptable in the world of journalism. If a photo is altered and it doesn't CHANGE the effect/meaning/intent of the article/photo - then I don't see any harm. To me, it falls under the same creative license we have when we enhance colors, increase sharpness, touch up a blemish... you know what I mean.

Read this article: Getty Photographer Fired Over Altered Image

Now, if you remember the problem in the O.J. Simpson saga where a magazine overly "darkened" the mugshot of O.J. to make it seem more ominous? Well, THAT is a problem to me... NOT this. I can't see how simply removing a caddie's head from a golf photo is detrimental to the industry - OR changes the intent of the image.

The sad thing is, this was all put into motion (the firing, that is) by a photo editor (who shall remain nameless) who felt that (for some reason) he needed to make a phone call to Getty to point out this "travesty". Honestly, kudos to the guy for being a "hardliner" on this issue. The sad thing is, it cost someone his job. Even more disturbing, the fired photographer had been working with Getty for 26 years.

But, I appear to be in the minority - or at least more liberal in my stance on the subject. I also don't think that those with a more conservative viewpoint are wrong, I just don't get the point of being so steadfast that it comes to the brink of getting someone fired. In all honesty, I'm not sure that this editor was really affected by this photographer's actions. But, if they are an editor who deems it their job to police the industry - I guess there has to be "someone".

My heart goes out to Marc Feldman. It's a shame to lose a client or working relationship in an already fragmented industry during an economy like the one we are in. I've seen your work. Hopefully, I'll continue to see it. You were actually one of the photographers I researched before covering my first pro golf event (USGA Women's Open) this past week. Best of luck.



Sometimes, this business leaves me speechless...