Neat Image - Lifesaver

When shooting in super low light, the biggest problem for a "non-flash" photographer like myself is noise. I try and use my 50D in these situations because it performs better at high ISO. My 1D MarkII has a faster shutter, so it tends to get used for sports. Last night, however, I was stuck with my 1D and my 70-200mm f/2.8 IS. That is my usual "sports setup".

I was shooting some shots for a friend at his acoustic performance. Granted, not a paying gig - but it helps to get the name out. I got asked a few times about my photography so something may come of it. I was actually just doing it because he's a nice guy and he had a big crowd there after just being in the paper.

So, I shoot at 1600 or HI, 1/50 @ 2.8. I have no other choice. I can't do any better than that. The IS finally was worth it's weight in gold and the images turned out okay, except for the enormous amount of noise.

So, anyway, Neat Image is an awesome noise-reduction tool. I use it a lot. I like the fastest shutter speed I can get so a high ISO sometimes enters my equation. I ran these images through a default setting in Neat Image, and the end result wasn't too bad for shots in a dark bar. Here's few. You can download Neat Image at http://www.neatimage.com.