Pictures at Parties

One of the more relaxing and enjoyable things to do as a photographer, in my opinion, is to take pictures at graduation parties, cookouts, etc - even if only for your immediate friends and family. This may sound like something that will get in the way of YOU having a good time, but it doesn't.



Yesterday, I went to an annual family outing and took my 50D and a 580EX II flash. It was a pseudo golf outing (hard to explain, lets just say it involves driving plastic golf balls from your knees using a kids driver) that is held annually and is something the guys look forward to. It was the first time that I had been involved in it and I - as always - threw a camera in the car.



What this does it a few things. First, it creates professional images for the people who are there. They end up with great Facebook images and can even print some 4x6 if they like. Also, it further implants into their brain that you are a professional photographer. When they see you, yet again, shooting at a family function... it reminds them to think of YOU whenever the topic of photography comes up. Trust me, you never know when someone will need a photographer and YOU need to be the best and only one they would ever choose. The cost of some prints and digital images for the FB page goes a long way towards goodwill and marketing - at least that's how I think.



Lastly, it gives you a chance to let the kids learn and have some fun. I, personally, spent a little bit of the evening showing a 10 year old how to shoot with a bounce flash and read histograms. Funny thing, she's pretty damn good. Better make sure she stays on my side. Here's a photo she took...