To "Studio" or not to "Studio"...

It's spring. That means graduation parties, graduation itself, spring and summer sports, leaves back on the trees and weddings. All the things that a photographer is waiting for. But, as I enter this season, I am faced with a dilemma.

Do I open a studio in a retail location or do I just convert part of house into one until the season is over?

Quite frankly, I haven't come up with the answer. I do know, in this smaller suburb of Pittsburgh, that having a high traffic location would prove beneficial. The expense, however small it was, would be simply marketing. Those who didn't want to go to a chain store and wanted a "professional" would notice. That is the part that has me at a standstill.

Let's evaluate... if a league is looking to hire a photographer for their team and individual photos, and the bids and relationships formed are similar, who would they pick? Does having an actual studio make you MORE professional?

If a parent is looking for senior portraits - a studio setup is a must. But, do you need an actual "studio", or are most people comfortable in coming to a person's home? I wouldn't have a problem with it. I just get stuck on the marketing value of a "main drag" studio.

Over the next 10 days or so, I will have to decide. I ordered all my studio lighting and backdrops. At the very least, I will have my home studio finished. I can always pack it up and move it. There is one retail office space where they gave me free reign to decorate the halls with my images and "fatheads", etc. That one is very appealing. Small, but just enough starting out. Just can't get stuck into a lease term longer than my growth plan.

We will see. As I progress, I'll post pics of the studio. Right now, I am struggling with the color. Black, grey or white? I have heard arguments for all three. Decisions, decisions, decisions...