Aim High

Since I continually read negative stories about how the photography industry for professionals is dying, I thought, "ADAPT or DIE". It's true, if the industry is really playing on the theory of supply and demand, then adapt to it.

Will I ever be able to command ridiculously high rates? Of course not. Will anyone? I think only a select few. So, we as photographers of the GWC generation have to be edgy, smarter, willing to work more for less and to always be informed on new technology and what is "hot".

Now, there are those "dream jobs" for those of us in the sports photography industry. For me, it is to become a team photographer for one of the professional teams in Pittsburgh. We have the Steelers, Penguins and Pirates. To shoot for them full-time would be the accomplishment of my dream.

How do I think that gets done? Ask. Yep, simple just ask. You'd be surprised the doors that open to those who pick up the phone and ask questions. I have learned that it's not actually what you shoot (pro, college, high school, pee wee) that matters. What matters is the uniqueness of the shot. Are you getting what everyone else is? If you are, change it up. Make your shots stand out, regardless of what level.

Was I surprised at that? Yep, the first time I heard it I thought it sounded crazy. But I have heard it more than once from several "great" phtoographers - so it must be true.