Big East - Day One

2:30pm

Just got into my hotel room and it's nice that I have my own. I flew in with the video production department and a few managers. Carol seems to be the boss of this group. These are the people who may not hold a big title, but are the real decision-makers... at least at the NCAA level.

No free Internet at the hotel, at least not in the room. Sorts sucks but my iPhone will have to do. The team arrives in a little bit. I have to start the "photo story" at that point. I am after ACTION and EMOTION.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

7:36pm

So the first day has ended. We've eaten and the team has gone their rooms. I have to say that today was a weird day for shooting. There weren't really that many opportunities to speak of. I just got the typical "get off the bus", etc shots. Very boring. Very non-photojournalistic. I am a little dissapointed at the shots I got today. Even at dinner, it just felt awkward. Not sure what it was.

The game is at noon tomorrow and, the way Pitt has played this year, it could be a quick exit from the tournament. I hope not. I was a little pissed when I found out that we were chartering a bus home instead of flying, but the SID offered to pay me for that day so it's not a big deal to me now.

Right now, I am exhausted and sitting in the hotel bar watching the Bruins and the Maple Leafs play. The Pens are on, but it is blacked out up here. Go figure. Anyhow, tomorrow will probably be a better day and I will try and do a better job following the players to get some candids. I think having to use my Speedlight was the issue. I am so used to shooting without flash. Oh well, tomorrow is another day. Now where is the beer?

11:08pm

As typical in my experience, I decide to look back through my shots from the team's arrival. Well I can once again tout the benefits of shooting RAW format.

After opening some of the CR2 files, I decided to tighten the RGB levels and apply a 500% sharpening through Canon Digital Photo Professional v19.

What I end up with is perhaps the most detailed and sharp, color rich candids. Are the perfect at 100% crop, of course not. But who the hell does that? That's like looking at a billboard image from 4' away.

So... Shoot RAW, get your white balance close and tighten the RGB levels. You might just turn crap into some good "keepers". Hopefully, I can post some tomorrow to show a before/after comparison.