Penguins - No Luck

Earlier this week, I sent an email to the Pittsburgh Penguins asking for a one-game credential so that I could occupy one of the "open" holes that I see directly in from of my seat when at a game.

Although I was denied, XXXXXX was very cordial in their response. I wish more people took the time to reply, instead of simply hitting the delete key. I thought it would be informative to post their response here.

XXXX forwarded me your email. I appreciate your interest in shooting the team and your professional endeavors.

However, the NHL has requirements for credentialed photographers and in this case, I would not be able to credential you as a free-lancer. The requirements are that the outlet is either an NHL -approved wire service or an affiliate to an outlet that we credential for media purposes. We do not credential any free lance photographers without a League affiliated source.

While I know it is frustrating to see an empty hole during some of the games, we must comply with the regulations. Security at Mellon Arena does not admit fans with a lens larger than 3” because it is considered professional equipment and it is prohibited at an NHL game.

Thanks and best of luck to you.
XXXXXXXX

I simply replied, thanking her for their time and asking if there was a list of "pre-approved" media outlets. My next strategy is to try and hook up with one of those organizations. In the world of credentials, asking the right person a pointed question is the best "first" step. I'm sure I'll have something to post shortly as this unfolds. It seems that the Pittsburgh Penguins are a very professional organization and the folks there seem cordial and willing to inform, rather than ignore.