Image Vault

I got tired of building galleries for every event I shot at Pitt, emailing low-res copies to Paul for the website and then burning a CD of high-res images for him to then categorize by player for next year's media guide. So, I decided to search for a solution that would be more like a indexed image archive that would be applicable for all of the sports I shoot.

I looked at a lot of options. I even tried to use my SmugMug account, but it just wasn't cutting it. So, I eventually decided to use Flickr from Yahoo! I never really looked at it, but if you just need a searchable archive for a client to look at images and be able to download high-resolution copies... I can't imagine a better solution.

I realize that this would not work if you were selling each image separately. But, that isn't my business model. I ask for a fair rate for my time and the images carry an unrestricted license by myself and the client for promotional use. If any commercial usage comes up, they have to notify me. I can't stand the photographers that want a king's ransom for their time. Example, I just heard of a guy who wanted to charge $80 to get on a plane and $60 for each meal that he attended. Seriously? The travel and meals were all paid for. Needless to say, I got the job.

Now I have http://www.pittpics.com/ for them to use. It's pretty cool in my own opinion. It'll streamline my workflow for a client like this whjo is paying "per game" and where I don't need to worry about who has access to what images. Like I said, the OLD business model is not MY business model.

My advice... ADAPT or DIE.