Day Off - Whew!

Even though it's not actually the case, I feel like I have had my camera in my hand nonstop recently. Now, don't get me wrong, that's how we make $$$. But, it is a lot more tiring that the average person may think. If you've ever held a Canon 1D w/ a Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 USM IS L lens for a prolonged period of time, you know what I mean. Add to that I was perched atop a 10 foot ladder so I could shoot ever the ice (amatuer rink, no portholes) and you can see how strained my arms and back must be.

So, today I enjoy a complete day off. Yesterday was a day off, too - but Sundays always are. I like to keep some of the weekend to myself unless it is a good paying gig that I simple can't refuse. I think in this business we have to keep some basic rules. Balancing time, sticking to our pricing unless some long-term goal is at stake and behaving like professionals at all times should be the foundation upon which we operate. I see so many photogs (some maybe more experienced than me) being unethical, inconsiderate of others and downright rude when shooting an event. Someone needs to inform these "Holier-than-Thou" folks that they are not Andy Warhol creating a one-of-a kind image. Quit treating like you are.

I shoot my first tennis match tomorrow at Pitt. It's their "Senior Day". I have never shot this sport although it can't be that hard except I think it is indoors. I may have a lighting issue like hockey. I'll have to see how I can use my flash. I tried "on-camera" with a 580EX II and I got some ghosting and it was impossible to stop action. But, I shot a 1/250 without the flash and got better clarity. That doesn't make sense.

Time to research...